United States Summer Institute for Pakistani Students Leaders
The United States Educational Foundation in Pakistan will be selecting up to 36 undergraduates from Pakistan for two intensive academic institutes in the United States for five weeks during summer 2007. The institutes are intended to provide two groups of 18 students each with a deeper understanding of the United States, while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. The central institutions of the American experience – political, economic, social, religious and cultural – will be explored through a series of seminar discussions, readings, group presentations, lectures and site visits.
Workshops, lectures and discussions will be held in English, therefore English proficiency is neccessary.
Grantees will share a room in college or university-owned dormitory housing with a Pakistani student of the same gender. The grant will fund international travel, domestic travel and ground transportation, tuition, housing and meals, and health insurance. Dependents are not allowed on this program.
- Be Pakistani citizens
- Be 25 years of age or younger;
- Be currently enrolled in a college or university and committed to returning to their home universities following the completion of the program;
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university and community activities;
- Indicate serious interest in learning about the United States;
- Have sustained a high level of academic achievement, as indicated in grades, awards, and teacher recommendations;
- Be able to demonstrate proficiency in English;
- Have demonstrated commitment to community and extracurricular university activities; and
- Have had no U.S. travel experience and little or no study or travel experience outside of Pakistan.
- Interested candidates should submit an application including a short personal statement of one page typed indicating why they are interested in participating in the program and what they hope to gain from the experience.
- Two sets of application materials (original and one copy) must be submitted.
- Each candidate should complete the attached biographical data form. Click Here to Download
No dependents are allowed for any part of this program. Participants are required to attend all programmed activities six days a week.
Please note that persons with a dual U.S./Pakistan nationality or who have a parent, spouse, fiancé, or child who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident are ineligible. Employees of the Fulbright organization or the U.S. Department of State are ineligible.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.